There have been a few questions asked about the 20th St. BAT HOV lane’s status and usage:
- Thanks to funding from the $1.8 million-dollar WSDOT Regional Mobility Grant, the design and construction of the westbound 20th St. BAT HOV lane will serve to connect to future trestle improvement projects that will reroute the existing westbound roadway to provide a priority bypass route for HOV and transit trips. Visit the City’s trestle project page for the latest information, including the link to WSDOT’s US 2 Westbound Trestle Study: https://www.lakestevenswa.gov/460/Lets-Fix-The-Trestle
- The 20th Street is HOV / BAT Lane in conjunction with the future trestle projects will eventually allow westbound AM Peak Hour HOV and transit to bypass the east end interchange and access US 2 mid-span beyond the congestion and merge locations. It is expected to significantly reduce travel time for HOV and transit users, with an estimated savings of approximately 15 minutes.
- The BAT HOV project is now complete and will open for HOV use beginning at 5 a.m. this Friday, April 23. The HOV lane will be open Monday through Friday from 5 a.m. to 9 a.m., with an occupancy of 2+ in the vehicle. Outside of those hours, it will function as a general-purpose lane.
- Vehicles with single occupants can drive in certain portions of the HOV restriction lane to make right turns into side roads and driveways only.
Per RCW 46.165 High occupancy vehicle lanes – monetary penalties for traffic infractions: https://app.leg.wa.gov/rcW/default.aspx?cite=46.61.165
- 220.127.116.11A HOV Lane Violation: $189
- 18.104.22.168A2 HOV Lane Violation within 2 years: $339
- 22.214.171.124B HOV Lane Violation with dummy: $389 (definition - dummy, doll, or other human facsimile to make it appear that an additional person is in the vehicle)
- 126.96.36.199B2 HOV Lane Violation within 2 years with dummy $539